Moniteau County, Missouri
Proctor Lumber (Tipton)
(Est. in 1896; moved to Tipton in 1942)
From the 2008 Pictorial History of Tipton:
Begun by J. R. Proctor in Olean in 1896, the business moved to Tipton in 1942 after he purchased the Tipton and Clarksburg lumberyards from D. C. Hardy. J. R.'s son, Ernest, managed the Tipton business, J. R. Proctor and Son. Ernest's son J. W. bought his grandfather's interest in 1951. In 1962 when Ernest retired, J. W. bought the rest of the business and changed the name to Proctors Building Materials, Inc. J. W.'s son, Bruce, joined the business in 1978. Today the business is owned by Bruce, and his wife, Barbara. Their son, Myles, is the fifth generation of Proctors involved in the business.
Proctor Lumber was originally located on the east side of Moreau Street just north of the Morgan Street intersection. The Proctors purchased the Hainen Motor Co., building on the west side of Moreau in 1952 and moved the office to that location. In 1982, the lumberyard moved to a new building at the current location on the west side of Highway 5 just south of town.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or
comments about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: December 23, 2016