Moniteau County, Missouri
Schaffter Equipment from 1962-2008
(Est. as John Deere Dealership in 1949)
From the 2008 Pictorial History of Tipton:
The first John Deere dealership in Tipton was opened in the spring of 1949 by Herbert Spieler from California. Dick Spieler worked at the dealership until his family sold it to Glenn and Mary Schaffter on January 1, 1962. At that time, the dealership was located in a building on the south side of Highway 50, about midway between Ferguson and Park Avenues.
In 1982, after 20 years of operation at the original location, the Schaffters purchased a building about two miles south of Tipton on the east side of Highway 5 from Bill and Priscilla Richey. The Schaffters built on to the existing building before relocating their business there. In 1987, an additional warehouse was built behind the original structure.
In 1995, Schaffter Equipment expanded by purchasing the Versailles John Deere dealership, Wenger Farm Equipment Company. Over the years, Schaffter Equipment has grown from four employees to thirty. It now serves as the John Deere dealer for six counties and makes shipments overseas.
Mike Schaffter joined his parents in the dealership full time in 1979 after graduating from college. He and his wife, Cindy, currently operate the business with Mike's mother, Mary, a part owner. Mike and Cindy's son, Chad, manages the Versailles location. Their other son, Chase, although still a student at the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, is in charge of the computer marketing for the business.
As this book goes to press, Schaffter Equipment no longer has a John Deere Franchise. In September 2008, Sydenstricker Equipment announced plans to take over the Schaffter franchise and maintain the business in Tipton and Versailles.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or
comments about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: December 23, 2016