First Assembly of God Church (1940-Present)

California

 

 

From Moniteau County Missouri History 1980:

The Assembly of God mission was started in 1940 by Rev Goodson in a building on East North Street across from the Moniteau County Courthouse and worshipped there for about 3 years, then moved to West North Street. About 1943 Rev Miss. Stephens and Rev Miss. Robinson became pastors. In January, 1945 Rev and Mrs C E Harmon, both ministers, became pastors. The church acquired the building next to the Moniteau National Bank and worshipped there until 1952 when the present building, located at 204 N Oak, was built.

 

There was only a nucleus of members in the early years with 9 present in January, 1945. Only one charter member remains in 1980, Mr Joe Moore. He has been active in the church since 1940.

 

The church has grown through the years to around 100 in attendance at times, then as folk left and moved away has settled to an attendance around the 40s.

 

In 1961, Rev Cecil King came to California and became Assistant Pastor. He is still active (in 1980) in the church life and is Superintendent of the Sunday School and teaches and assists the pastor.

 

Two of the local churches' members have entered the ministry. They are Rev L Jack Moore, who pastors in Springfield, Missouri, and Rev Richard Birdsong, who pastors in Arkansas.

 

After pastoring the church for 25 years, Rev Harmon retired because of ill health in 1970.

 

In 1970 the church called Rev W G McGarity, brother of the current (1980) pastor, to serve the church. Rev Dan Swearengin and Rev C L Stage also pastored during the 1970's. In 1977 the church called Rev R S McGarity as pastor.

 

In December, 1977 the congregation purchased its first parsonage for its pastor, at the corner of Lexie Lane and Wayne Avenue. In 1978 the church purchased property on the west side of California for future relocation when the congregation outgrows its present facilities.


 

Moniteau County Homepage

 


 

Please go to the contact page with questions or comments about this web site
Copyright 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: December 22, 2012