Main Street Baptist Church (May 1951- Present)

California

 

From Historical Sketch of Concord Baptist Association and its Churches published in 1973:

 

Main Street Baptist Church grew from a mission started by the First Baptist Church of California in May 1951. Rev James Heisner, pastor of the First Baptist Church, was the evangelist for a two weeks revival. There were 30 present on the first Sunday. In July 1951, Rev Donald Reed was called as the first pastor of the mission. At the time the mission was started, a Sunday School and Training Union were also organized. Homer Swearingen was the Sunday School Superintendent and Loyd Kirchoff the Training Union Director. A WMU with Mrs Albert Allee as president and a Brotherhood with C A Masters as president were organized in 1952.

 

The mission was organized into a church April 11, 1954. The first deacons were Cecil Howard, George Williams and Addison Hamlin. The church was accepted as a member of the Concord Baptist Association at the annual meeting held at Pilot Grove Baptist Church in September, 1954.

 

The church's first meeting place was an old animal hospital purchased from Dr B M Miller. In 1958, a new brick auditorium with a full basement was erected to the north of the old building. The animal hospital building continued to be used for Sunday School and Training Union purposes until July 15, 1962. At that time the basement of the educational building was erected. A parsonage was erected on Cedar Street in 1954.

 

Rev Reed served as pastor until August 1954. Rev Hugh Smith was called as pastor in August 1954 and served until July 1957. Rev Paul Harvey was pastor from July 1957 until March 1961. Rev Bob Ebersold came on the field in May 1961 and continued until November 1964. Rev Rufus Longenecker was called as pastor in April 1965 and served until November 1972. The second story of the educational building was completed and additional land purchased for parking space during Rev Longenecker's pastorate.

 

From the History of Moniteau County 1980:

 

The Main Street Baptist Church grew from a mission started by the First Baptist Church of California in May 1951. Rev. James Heisner, pastor of the First Baptist Church was the evangelist for a two week revival. There were 30 present on the first Sunday. In July 1951, Rev. Donald Reed was called as the first pastor of the mission. At the time the mission was started, a Sunday School and Training Union were also organized. Homer Swearingen was the Sunday School Superintendent and Loyd Kirchoff the Training Union Director. A WMU with Mrs. Allee as president and a Brotherhood with Mr. C. A. Masters as president were organized in 1952.

 

The mission was organized into a church April 11, 1954. The first deacons were Cecil Howard, George Williams and Addison Hamlin. The church was accepted as a member of the Concord Baptist Assoclat.ion at the annual meeting held at Pilot Grove Baptist Church In September 1954.

 

The church's first meeting place was an old animal hospital purchased from Dr. B. M. Miller. In 1958 a new brick auditorium with a full basement was erected to the north of the old building. The animal hospital building continued to be used for Sunday School and Training Union purposes until July 15, 1962. At that time the basement of the educational building was erected. A parsonage was erected on Cedar Street In 1954. The purchase of a residence at 408 Russell Street from the Concord Baptist Association in September 1979 now affords the church a new parsonage.

 

Rev. Reed served as pastor until August 1954. Rev. Hugh Smith was called as pastor In August 1954, and served until July 1957. Rev. Paul Harvey was pastor from July 1957 until March 1961. Rev. Bob Ebersold came on the field in May 1961 and continued until November 1964. Rev. Rufus Longenecker was called as pastor in April, 1965, and served until November, 1972. Coming in April, 1973, Rev. Aubrey Burk served as pastor until December 1977. Rev. Charles Sexton came as pastor In July 1978. In November 1978 a Children's Church was established. The present membership of the church is 516.

 

From the History of Moniteau County 2000:

 

The Main Street Baptist Church grew from a mission started by the First Baptist Church of California in May 1951. Rev. James Heisner, pastor of the First Baptist Church was the evangelist for a two week revival. There were 30 present on the first Sunday. In July 1951, Rev. Donald Reed was called as the first pastor of the mission. At the time the mission was started, a Sunday School and Training Union were also organized. Homer Swearingen was the Sunday School Superintendent and Loyd Kirchoff the Training Union Director. A Woman's Missionary Union with Mrs. Albert Allee as president and Brotherhood with Mr. C.A. Masters as president were organized in 1952.

 

The mission was organized into a church April 11, 1954. The first deacons were Cecil Howard, George Williams and Addison Hamlin. The church was accepted as a member of the Concord Baptist Association at the annual meeting held at Pilot Grove Baptist Church in September 1954.

 

The church's first meeting place was an old animal hospital purchased from Dr. B.M. Miller. In 1958 a new brick auditorium with a full basement was erected to the north of the old building. The animal hospital building continued to be used for Sunday School and Training Union purposes until July 15, 1962. At that time the basement of the education building was erected. A parsonage was erected on Cedar Street in 1954.

 

In 1968 a two story education building was built over the basement area.

 

Wanting to move the fellowship hall out of the basement so activities would be accessible to everyone and wanting to minister more fully to the community, the church body voted to build a multipurpose building. This building was attached to the south of the education building. The building, containing kitchen, fellowship/gym area, restrooms and offices, was begun in May 1995, and completed in November 1996, with the exception of the finish on the gym floor. The church staff moved into the new offices in March 1996. This building was completed using about 95% volunteer labor of Baptist Builders from six different states.

 

Rev. Kenneth D. Mathis is currently (in 2000) pastor of Main Street Baptist having served here since August 8, 1993. Other pastors who have served the church are Rev. Don Reed (1951-1954), Rev. Hugh Smith (1954-1957), Rev. Paul Harvey (1957-1961), Rev. Bob Ebersold (1961-1964), Rev. Rufus Longenecker (1965-1972), Rev. Aubrey Burk (1973-1977), Rev. Charles ? [no last name printed] (1978-1983), Rev. Robert Nichols (1983-1988), and Rev. Steve Dull (1988-1992). The present membership of the church is 615.

 


 

Moniteau County Homepage

 


 

Please go to the contact page with questions or comments about this web site
Copyright 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: September 09, 2012