Tipton Colored Methodist (By 1878-1950s?)
From The Illustrated History of Tipton, Missouri 1858-2008:
Methodist Church (page 193)
In 1878, there was also a colored Methodist church in Tipton. This notice appeared in The Times: "The M.E. (colored) Church of Tipton, had a New Year tree on Jan. 1st, and was largely attended. Rev. H. J. Rurton, of St Louis, was present, and was made the recipient of many handsome gifts, for all of which he returns thanks."
It (the church building) had leaned for several years. In the late 1950s, there was a strange noise. When neighbors looked out, the church building had collapsed. It is not known if it was still an active church at the time as membership had dwindled to just a few persons.
That Methodist church was located near the southwest corner of Howard and Auglaize streets.
If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014