Union Christian Church (1866-1949)
3 miles northwest of High Point
Pictures taken by Alan Sparks in 2006
From the High Point Community History:
Copy on file at the Moniteau County Historical Society
The church was organized in October 1866 and meetings for worship were held at the home of William Robertson, grandfather of the late Judge J S Robertson, who lived at the site of the buildings on the Leo Englebrecht farm 2 miles west of Union Church. William Robertson's land extended down the Burris Fork creek to the site of the church. One Sunday at a church gathering at his home, he announced to the men of the congregation that all who desired to have a regular house of worship might report with their axes at a spring on the lower part of his farm the following morning, that he would donate the spring and a sufficient parcel of land around it for a church site and cemetery, and that trees there and nearby on his land be utilized to provide logs for the erection of a church house.
Work began on the following morning and a log church which was used for some years was soon provided. It was replaced by a frame building which stood just east of the present building. The second building still in use once yearly for memorial services, was dedicated August 17, 1894. Cost of the church building was $770. Membership in October, 1894 was 83. The membership list numbered 205 during the years 1895 to 1898.
One of the greatest revival meetings ever held there was by a Rev. Mr. Monser of Bunceton about 1895. It is said that Lash Francis, who throughout his lifetime was one of the most ardent supporters of the church, and Judge N J Robertson decided they would pay Monser for his services, $5 for each convert. Before the meeting had been in progress many days there were 15 converts in a single evening, and the sponsors decided it best to lower their figure. The High Point Christian Church was later organized with a considerable portion of its membership from Union.
Many ministers served Union church with great success, the church often being filled during revivals. All the baptisms were in the nearby creek. The minister best remembered was the last one, a very dedicated man, Rev. W A Dameron of Middletown. He served from 1930 until 1949 when old age made the trip too much for him.
If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014