Moniteau County, Missouri
Brief History of Jamestown,
(From the 1889 History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries & Osage Counties, Missouri by Goodspeed; pages 383-386)
Jamestown, 11 miles northeast of California, dates its beginnings back to 1837, when John Hightower established a tobacco factory. In 1846 S. L. and E. H. James, after whom the town was named, erected a mercantile house there, and in 1873 the hamlet of 1846 claimed a population of over 300, and a local government.
The business and professional circles of that period comprised:
John B. Wolfe, merchant
W. H. Woodhull & J. T. Smith, physicians
H. A. Carroll, druggist
A. H. Workman & H. Knierim, blacksmiths
F. Slefler, harness maker
Hecht & Kuglin's fouring & sawmills and carding machine
Peter Nickles, postmaster.
Jamestown was incorporated in May, 1873, when the following trustees were appointed: J. B. Wolfe, A. S. Maas, G. P. Barker, A. H. Workman, H. A. Carroll. At a meeting of the board on the 22d, J. B. Wolfe was elected president; H. H. Schaeffer, clerk; J. H. Fulcher, marshal. . . In April 1878 the town hall was reported completed. [Ed. note: Over the years through 1889, numerous men were elected to the various offices as the town continued to prosper].
Survey and Additions:
Jamestown was surveyed by R. L. C. Miller, April 7, 1874. On this plat the California, Boonville, Providence, Jefferson and Rocheport roads are shown, with the locations of the Cumberland and Methodist Church buildings on the Jefferson road, and the Jamestown Mills west of the Providence road. In 1882 the council of Jamestown changed a street and established the public square, the streets having been previously located by Surveyor Miller, Embree, and Blakeman.
The first post office of the district was established where Mrs. Harris now  resides, with William Walker, master.
Charles Hatton, who kept a hatter's store where Uncle John Moore resides [in 1889], early in 1831, built the first house inside the present corporation, where Willer's stable stands; but later built a double log house on the site of Peter Nickles' present  house. James Glazebrook established his blacksmith shop about 1841, but Uncle Jimmy Moore was the first blacksmith of Linn Township.
The Hightower Tobacco Factory, which stood near Snoor's orchard, was built shortly after the Jackson campaign of 1832. The concern was established by Joshua Hightower, assisted by his brother William. A. P. and Joe Adams succeeded Hightower in the ownership.
The first mill at Jamestown was built by Clark Hall in 1862, who had on circular saw and one set of buhrs for corn. The concern was subsequently owned by Barker and Inglish. . . The roller process was introduced in 1884.
The first machine shop was established by Wegener & Kirshman about ten years ago , of which John Kirshman is now owner.
The first separator or improved threshing machine was purchased by Judges H. H. Hudson and Robert Moore, old settlers and ex-representatives of the county.
Judge Robert Moore was the first man to introduce sorghum seed from New York City, having paid $1.00 for one tablespoonful.
John Marshall and Christopher Johans established the pioneer pottery, first four miles west of Jamestown, and a short time later they moved to a place three miles north on Factory Creek.
The first reaper here was brought by John Inglish.
The first printing press introduced in Jamestown, a Boston press No. 2, in 1886, was replaced by a Golding's official. It was purchased by Ripley Reed in 1888. Together with being assistant postmaster he carries on a job printing office.
Churches and Schools:
The churches of Jamestown comprise the Methodist South, the Methodist colored, the German Methodist, German Evangelical, German Lutheran, Cumberland Presbyterian, and the Seventh Day Adventist, organized in March 1889.
The public school is a large, one-story frame building. . . In March, 1889, J. M. McFadden proposed to the people of Jamestown to erect a school building and conduct a first-class academy or high school, the conditions being that the people would donate an acre and contribute $500 to the building fund. Judge Nickles headed the subscriber list, Dr. Thorpe and John Muri offered one acre each for a site, while William H. Crum, H. Gentsch, W. T. Heyssel, J. C. Meyers, L. F. Burgi, John Kirshman, F. Willers, F. Gentsch and Louis Schlapback also contributed.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments about this
Copyright © 2004-2009 Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb
Last modified: February 24, 2009